The coils in your air conditioner are responsible for the exchange of heat to keep your home comfortable during our long, hot Fresno cooling season. The evaporator coil, which is located inside your indoor air handler, absorbs heat from the air in your home. The condenser coil, located in the outdoor condensing/compressor unit, expels the heat outside. Over time, dirt and grime build up on your coils and prevents the optimum exchange of heat, resulting in your system working overtime to keep you cool. This can raise your utility bills and reduce the life of your system.
Cleaning your coils
Your coils should be cleaned annually, and scheduling a coil cleaning to coincide with your regular annual A/C maintenance visit will save time and money. Your qualified HVAC technician will utilize one of three methods for cleaning your coils, depending on how dirty they are.
- Lightly soiled A/C coils can be blown clean with low-pressure compressed air.
- Dirtier coils are scrubbed with water and a mild detergent.
- Heavily soiled coils require a chemical foaming cleaning agent, which is sprayed on and allowed to sit for a period of time before being rinsed clean. It may take several applications to thoroughly clean the coils. To protect the water supply, always opt for a biodegradable cleaner that can safely be rinsed down the drain.
Coil cleaning should include washing the condensate pan, located beneath the evaporator coil. Because of the constant moisture in the pan, it can become heavily contaminated with mold and bacteria, and should be treated with a biocide to prevent the growth of these dangerous biological pollutants.
Maintaining your coils
Once your coils are clean, there are a few things you can do to maintain them.
- Hose down your outdoor unit monthly to remove dirt and debris from the fins.
- Vacuum around your indoor unit regularly to remove dust that may enter your system.
- Check your air filter monthly and change it when it’s dirty.
For more expert advice about your A/C coils, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning, proudly serving Fresno residents for year-round comfort.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C coils and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock