With the average daytime temperature in Fresno about to hit the 90 degree mark, you need your air conditioner to be reliable and efficient. If you experienced A/C trouble last cooling season, you may have a decision to make before things really heat up. Here are some tips to help make the decision to repair or replace a little easier:
- Consider the age of your A/C. You may want to think about replacing your unit, if it’s 10 years or older. Today’s high-efficiency units can save you money on your cooling bills and keep you more comfortable as well.
- How are your energy bills? While energy costs do rise, if you have noticed an unusual jump in your energy bills, it may be due to the inefficiency of your A/C unit. In addition, high energy bills may be an indicator that your unit is the wrong size for your home.
- Have you made costly repairs recently? Stop throwing good money after bad. If you’ve had to make major or expensive repairs to your unit, it may be time to consider replacing, before A/C trouble worsens.
- Do you have issues with high humidity? Your A/C is meant to cool the air, but also to remove and control humidity. If a unit is not functioning properly, or is not sized correctly, the result can be excess moisture in the air.
- Are you hearing unusual noises when you run the A/C? The noise may be coming from your duct work, but it could also be coming from the unit itself, indicating A/C trouble.
- Is the cooling even throughout your home? If you are experiencing varying temperatures throughout your home, your unit may not be operating properly; since there may be other factors in play, such as your duct work, it’s best to have an HVAC professional check out both.
For more help with A/C trouble and your decision on whether to repair or replace, give us a call at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. For over 40 years we have proudly served residents of the greater Fresno area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C trouble and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.