Summer is coming quickly, and with it, high air conditioning bills. There are a variety of ways to reduce this cost, however. One of the easiest ways is to make sure your air conditioning system is running smoothly and efficiently. Regular maintenance can make a world of difference.
Here are some steps you can take to make sure your air conditioner is running well before the hot summer months hit.
- Be sure to check the air filter. This is something you should already be doing on a regular basis, but if you aren’t, summer is a great time for a new one. Keeping a clean filter can save you 5-15 percent on your energy bill, according to the Department of Energy.
- Clean your evaporator and condensing coils. Some particles get through even the best air filter, and the dirt can build up over the course of years. If you are not comfortable cleaning these yourself, it is definitely worthwhile to have a professional contractor do it for you. Your air conditioner will run more efficiently and you’ll have to deal with far fewer breakdowns.
- Lubricate all moving parts. Friction can ruin anything mechanical over time. It’s important to keep everything moving smoothly.
- Check your electrical connections. Loose or frayed wiring threatens to short-circuit your entire system. Catching these potential problems beforehand is the best way to protect your system.
- Check your air conditioning system’s refrigerant levels. If your air conditioner is working harder than it needs to in order to cool your house, you will feel it on your energy bill.
It is amazing what a simple visual check can tell you about the health of your system. Finding problems before they happen is the key to a long life for your air conditioner. Still, there are some things that you won’t catch, and for those, it’s important to have a professional look at your air conditioning system. If you’re looking for help or you want an expert to evaluate your A/C, please contact the professionals at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. We are always glad to help.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. To get started, check out our website.