Our Fresno area’s humid summer months can either be a relief from arid conditions, or it can cause certain health problems in sensitive individuals. Since high-humidity environments can often cause allergy and respiratory issues, many homeowners have discovered that whole-home dehumidifiers can keep them healthier and happier throughout the humid months.
Both your body and your home suffer when there’s too much moisture in the air. For example:
- Wallpaper and other fixtures in your home can begin to warp.
- It may be more difficult to breathe.
- Mold, mildew, fungus and bacteria can grow in humid environments, which can then be released into your indoor air.
- It’s more difficult to cool down after exercising in warm environments.
- Common household pests, like dust mites, can thrive in humid environments.
Whole-home dehumidifiers can take advantage of your central HVAC system, which circulates air throughout the ductwork of your home. On each pass, your dehumidifier can remove some excess moisture from the air, balancing out your home humidity.
Dehumidifiers can also be paired with humidifiers for year-round humidity control. During the summer, low humidity can have just as many adverse effects on your home and body as humidity that’s too high during the rest of the year.
If you want to learn more about balancing your home’s humidity level, or about purchasing a whole-home dehumidifier, contact Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning today in the Fresno area!
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about dehumidifiers and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Kellis/Shutterstock”