A home energy evaluation, also known as an energy audit, is an excellent way for Fresno area homeowners to determine the effectiveness of their home energy system and uncover where energy is being wasted. This audit evaluates how well your HVAC system performs, the effectiveness of the building’s thermal envelope, and which improvements should be made to better your system.
Fresno homeowners should have this energy audit performed if:
- The house often feels too hot during the summer months and too cold during the winter.
- The house often feels too dry or humid.
- Any rooms are frequently dusty, or if any family members exhibit respiratory problems.
- Household energy bills seem too high, especially when compared with similar-sized neighboring homes. Your electric company probably sends out a comparative analysis of your energy use, as compared to average homes your size and idealized energy-efficient homes.
Your HVAC system ought to provide you and your family members with adequate ventilation, comfortable inside temperatures, and healthy indoor air quality. If your system is failing to do this, having a home energy audit performed can help explain why.
During this energy evaluation, a professional technician will:
- Inspection of HVAC equipment. Your heating and cooling equipment should be checked for proper installation, that preventative maintenance has been performed, and that equipment is vented safely. Also, your central system should have its air filtration tested for how well it removes airborne pollutants.
- Inspection of building insulation. When your home is properly sealed and insulated, you can save up to 20 percent on your home heating bills During an energy evaluation, your insulation should be checked for any defects and that they have proper R-levels. Additionally, a thermal imaging test should be performed to locate any areas within the building’s walls and ceilings that lack sufficient insulation.
- Blower door test. A blower door test should be performed in order to determine the airtightness of your home and to locate where air is leaking or infiltrating.
To learn more, or to schedule an energy audit in your San Joaquin Valley home, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).