Coronavirus Update: We are exempt under CA "Shelter in Place" and open to provide new HVAC systems and service/repair Read More

Skip navigation

559-255-1644

Serving the greater Fresno area since 1970

Menu

If You’re Looking for a Furnace Upgrade, Go With High Efficiency

If You're Looking for a Furnace Upgrade, Go With High EfficiencyIt may not be immediately apparent to homeowners living in mild climates why it’s important to consider a high-efficiency furnace upgrade. In our region, homeowners tend to place a priority on purchasing high-efficiency cooling systems, and rightly so. However, going with a high-efficiency furnace upgrade offers more than just improved efficiency and energy savings. Learn the value you’ll gain from choosing a furnace upgrade that performs.

Efficiency

High-efficiency furnaces are generally those that achieve an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) of 90 percent or higher. AFUE is the rating system used to show consumers how much of the fuel gets converted into heat. AFUE is easy to understand, because it’s based on a percentage: A 90 percent AFUE furnace turns 90 percent of the energy consumed into usable heat; the other 10 percent is lost up the flue.

While higher-rated furnaces offer clear advantages in terms of efficiency, the features manufacturers employ in these types of systems also lead to comfort and safety benefits.

Comfort

Choosing a high-efficiency furnace upgrade means you’ll get a system that employs features that promote improved comfort:

  • A two-stage gas valve allows for two stages of heating. The furnace operates on the higher stage when temperatures are cold, and during milder temperatures, it runs on the lower stage. As a result, it can more accurately and efficiently meet the home’s heating load, improving comfort and saving on energy bills.
  • A variable-speed air handler adjusts the air-delivery rate, running at varied speeds, so the furnace delivers just enough heated air as necessary, based on the minute-by-minute heating load of the home. Running usually at a slower but more continuous speed, these air handlers save energy while providing more even heating and better air filtration.

Safety

Furnaces with sealed combustion prevent back-drafting, a process where combustion gases back up into the home, exposing home occupants to deadly carbon monoxide. Sealed combustion vents these gases outdoors.

While it may not be immediately evident, a high-efficiency furnace could be just what you’re looking for. If you’d like to discuss furnace upgrade options with a local HVAC expert, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning today. We serve homeowners in the greater Fresno area. Give us a call today or visit our website for more information.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).  For more information about furnace upgrades and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock