You won’t regret the time and money you invest in your San Joaquin Valley home’s heating and cooling system. It’s an investment that pays off in the immediate future and far down the line. The same can be said of your home’s plumbing system. Just like your heating and cooling equipment, your plumbing system requires regular maintenance. Give it the attention it needs, and it will continue to serve you in the long-term.
In general, checking your plumbing system once a year should allow you to identify problems early on and ensure a health, functioning plumbing system. Here’s what you should do:
- Conduct a thorough inspection of the home’s plumbing pipes, checking specifically for leaks. Don’t forget to check pipes located under sinks and in cabinets, as well as those that protrude through the foundation or the home’s exterior walls.
- During the inspection, look for signs of corrosion around the pipes. Left unchecked, corroded pipes will eventually leak, potentially damaging your home. If you see patches of green around shutoff valves, or any copper or brass fittings, that’s a sign that pipes may be corroding.
- Pay attention to water pressure in sinks, toilets and tubs. A steady decrease in pressure may indicate a buildup of sediment. The problem may occur at the faucet or showerhead, or it could indicate a blockage further down the line.
- Check all drains, evaluating the speed of waste water as it moves down the drains. If drainage slows with time, it may be a sign that the plumbing pipes are clogged.
- Look around all sinks and tubs, checking for damaged or missing caulk. An ineffective seal around tubs, showers and sinks will let water behind tile and counters, eventually causing mold problems or rot.
- Check the condition of the toilets. After flushing, wait several minutes for the tank to fill up again. If, after a moment of silence, the toilet begins running again, it may have a slow leak, which should be addressed immediately.
After performing this plumbing check, if you find problems, contact a professional. The experts at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning are happy to help homeowners ensure a healthy, functioning home. We’re happy to serve homeowners in the Greater Fresno area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about plumbing systems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock