Choosing an HVAC contractor can be a daunting task. You can ask your friends and neighbors or read reviews online, but nothing is as reliable as checking potential companies out for yourself.
It’s not as hard as you might think. You just need to know what questions to ask:
- Do you use Energy Star-approved equipment? The federal Energy Star program sets efficiency and performance standards for energy-using appliances and products. If a contractor is willing to use products that are not approved, they may not have the standards you deserve.
- Can you tell me about your service from beginning to end? A complete service should start with an assessment of your home, which includes everything from locating air leaks to checking your thermostat. The technicians need to determine all this information so they can recommend the right products and services for your specific needs.
- Will you install new refrigerant lines? If you’re having a new product installed or a major repair done, the refrigerant lines should be changed as well. Precise refrigerant charge is vital to the performance of the system, and leaks are an environmental hazard.
- What about my ducts, vents and air filters? Your ducts have to be small enough to streamline airflow throughout the ductwork but large enough to handle the amount of air supplied by your equipment. You also need the right filters for the job. For example, disposable one-inch filters may not protect your equipment from dirt and dust but a filter that is too thick will block airflow and strain the motor and other components.
- What verifications and guarantees do you provide? Promises are worth nothing if you don’t have them in writing. Every task that the technician says they will perform should be put in writing and signed so that you have proof. For large installation jobs, it’s also useful for your contractor to offer third-party reviews to ensure the installation was done correctly.
Choosing an HVAC contractor can be even easier if you contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. We’re confident we can provide satisfactory answers to all of your questions. We provide quality services to homeowners in the Greater Fresno area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about choosing the right HVAC contractor and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock