With the right programmable thermostat in place, you can expect great savings on your monthly energy bills, without compromising the comfort potential of your home. To achieve this two-fold goal, however, you need to first select the right device. Here’s a guide to the types of programmable thermostats available, as well as features you’ll want to look for.
Programmable thermostat types
When it comes to choosing a type of device, look for a device with the programming capabilities that best match your lifestyle and daily and weekly schedules. Models are available with:
- 1-week programming, with the same daily program setting for every day of the week
- 5-2 programming, with one daily program for weekdays, and one daily program for weekends
- 5-1-1 programming, with one daily program for weekdays, and one program each for Saturdays and Sundays
- 7-day programming, with a separate schedule for all seven days of the week
The latter type of device is best suited for families with a schedule that varies from day to day. This will give you the most freedom in terms of allowing setbacks/set-forwards that match when you return home each day.
Programmable thermostat features
In terms of available features, look for these:
- Four periods of programming per day, so that you can schedule the HVAC system to cycle on when you wake, cycle off when you leave for school or work, cycle back on by the time everyone returns home, and then cycle back off for the sleeping hours
- Digital display
- Back-lighting for easy viewing
- Programming on a touch screen
- Voice programming
- Smartphone programming, which allows you to adjust the settings when you’re away from the home
- Hold and vacation capabilities
- Reminders that alert you to when the system’s air filter needs to be changed
- Alerts that let you know if the HVAC system is malfunctioning
- Smart features that connect the thermostat to a web-based software program via WiFi connectivity, giving you 24/7 access to the device as long as you have an Internet connection or a related smartphone app.
If you’d like help selecting a programmable thermostat, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning today. We serve homeowners reliably in the Fresno area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about Programmable Thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock