Programmable thermostats aren’t just a means of adjusting your home’s temperature. If you look beyond that essential feature, you’ll find that today’s programmable thermostats offer a level of convenience and flexibility that wasn’t available to homeowners before. By affording you the control to adjust your home climate according to your family’s schedule, a programmable thermostat allows you to alleviate energy costs by reducing the level of energy used to heat and cool your household.
When choosing a programmable thermostat, you’ll want to keep your family’s schedule in mind. While many features are offered, here are the three most common:
- The 5+2-day model is perfect for families that typically enjoy a routine 5-day work/school week, as it allows you to set one schedule for the Monday through Friday routine, while utilizing different settings over the weekends.
- The 5+1+1 model offers the same Monday through Friday settings, but instead of adjusting for the entire weekend, you have the flexibility of separate settings for Saturday and Sunday.
- The 7-day model, however, offers the most flexibility, as you’re able to program settings for each individual day, morning, noon or night. This type of thermostat would be perfect, for example, in a home where the sole occupant was a student whose class schedule fluctuated daily.
In addition to scheduling, there are a host of other great features available, including:
- Remote Access – Zone temperature control allows you to stipulate specific settings for various rooms of the home.
- Offsite Access – Some models allow you to access your thermostat via the internet or telephone.
- Reminders – Set reminders so you don’t forget to change your filters, etc.
- Humidity Sensors – Keep track of moisture levels in the home that could be detrimental to the health of your family or the structural integrity of your home and other wood-based household items.
No matter what your weekly routine entails, programmable thermostats are a proven method of reducing annual utility costs. If you need help choosing the right thermostat for your home, contact the professionals at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning today for a consultation.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. To get started, check out our website.