Going green is a sound choice that consumers can make to reduce their carbon footprint and help protect our world. Unfortunately, many consumers focus on conventional methods of energy efficiency and forget about the amount of water they waste in a day. Thankfully, the federal EPA’s WaterSense program not only helps you save money but also helps protect our nation’s water supply. This is good for both Fresno area consumers and the environment.
The EPA’s WaterSense program encourages the reduction of outdoor and indoor water use with easy water-saving practices that homeowners can implement in their daily lives. The program also uses a labeling system similar to the federal Energy Star to encourage the use of water-efficient products designed to use less water without compromising product performance. According to the EPA, any product with a WaterSense label has been certified to be at least 20 percent more water efficient than comparable products, without sacrificing quality. The label allows consumers to easily identify and select water-efficient products, which in turn reduces their water usage and water bills while helping protect the environment.
Taking advantage of the EPA’s WaterSense program is just one way you can lower your water usage. There are several other simply steps you can take to minimize your water use:
Conserve water indoors
- Turn the tap water off while brushing your teeth.
- Run the dishwasher only when it’s fully loaded.
- Take short showers instead of long baths.
- Fill a pitcher of water and keep it cold in the refrigerator. This will eliminate the need for letting the tap run until the water is cold enough to drink.
Conserve water outdoors
- Plant a water efficient landscape with plants that don’t require a lot of water and can tolerate drought conditions.
- Sweep driveways, sidewalks and walkways clean instead of hosing them off.
- Use a cover on your outdoor pool to reduce water evaporation.
- Wash your car with a bucket of water instead of a water hose.
For more information on the EPA’s WaterSense program and how you can save both water and money, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. For 40 years, we have been providing dependable and affordable services to the San Joaquin Valley.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).