Have you been putting off making those energy-saving improvements your house needs? Are you looking to reduce your energy bills as well as your carbon footprint by upgrading your heating or cooling system? It’s time to stop thinking and start acting. If you make qualifying upgrades to your home by the end of 2011, you’ll be eligible for credits of up to $500 per product on your 2011 federal tax return.
Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning Blog: Archive for November, 2011
There are three basic components of an efficient heating system: your thermostat, furnace and ductwork. They all work together, and when there’s a problem with one, they are all affected. Understanding a little bit more about them will help you get the best heating and comfort levels while saving on your energy bills this winter.
Having a programmable thermostat in your home makes it easy to enjoy energy savings with very little effort. Depending on your schedule, you can stick with what is preprogrammed or make changes to the default thermostat settings so they’re appropriate for you and your family.
With rising energy costs, it’s more important than ever to find ways to make your home as energy efficient as possible. One easy and affordable project that can have a big impact on efficiency is insulating your water heater. Water heater insulation can help slow the rate of heat loss from the tank, resulting in significantly lower energy usage. This can add up to big savings on your monthly power bills.
If you are having furnace problems, you don’t necessarily need to call an HVAC technician right away. There are several simple troubleshooting tips you can try out yourself to resolve some common issues. If none of these helps, then it’s time to get help from the experts.
When thinking about making a furnace upgrade, there are few considerations you’ll want to weigh more heavily than fuel efficiency and as a direct result, lifetime costs of the upgrade. For comparing the efficiency of different furnaces, the best tool available is the AFUE, or “annual fuel utilization efficiency” rating. What this rating does is measure how well a heating system converts energy into heat. For example, a furnace with a 75 percent AFUE rating is able of converting 75 percent of the energy that it uses into heat, essentially letting the other 25 percent go to waste.
The signs of a struggling furnace are usually obvious: strange noises, uneven levels of heating in the various rooms in your home, and rising energy bills. If your budget is too tight to replace your furnace right now and you need your current unit to make it through the winter, several strategies are available to keep your heating costs under control and improve your furnace efficiency. The most effective of these revolve around reducing your home heating load.
Just because your heating and cooling system is out of sight, doesn’t mean it should be out of mind. To get the most from your systems in terms of comfort and energy efficiency, annual maintenance is a must. Not only that, but by having a trained technician evaluate your systems annually, you can prevent unnecessary damage, avoid costly repairs and extend the overall life of your systems.
When you’re choosing a new HVAC contractor in the Fresno area, you’re essentially putting a huge investment in the hands of a total stranger. With that in mind, it’s imperative that you research your options and find a home contractor that’s not only worthy of your trust, but capable of providing the type of installation and service that will provide you with a reasonable return on your investment for years to come. But how do you discern between the contractors that have proven to be reliable experts in the field, and those who just don’t have the experience necessary to guarantee your comfort and safety? A good place to start is an ACCA affiliation.