As a San Joaquin Valley homeowner, you’re probably no expert in cooling/heating. This makes it hard to know when those little problems arise whether your system simply needs servicing or whether you should consider an upgrade. There are several factors that can cause the air inside your home to be less comfortable than it should be. Other factors can affect indoor air quality. Nearly any problem could mean that you are paying more in energy costs than you should be.
Since you probably are not an expert in heating/cooling your home, here is some information you may find useful when you’re trying to decide whether to have your system serviced or upgraded:
- The term “heat transfer” simply means that your air conditioning system is transferring the warm air inside your home to the outdoors, so that your home stays cool and comfortable.
- Humidity relates to excess moisture in the air inside your home. Most air conditioners not only work to cool your home, but to control humidity levels as well. A unit that is oversized (too big for your home) may not reduce humidity as much as you would like.
- You may have heard your service technician state that your compressor needs refrigerant (or freon). Refrigerants are formulated so that you experience the best possible cooling of the air. Your compressor causes the refrigerant to vaporize due to pressure it creates.
- Btu/h relates to the cooling capacity of an air conditioner. If your cooling system is not rated high enough in Btu/h, your system may not cool your home efficiently so you may want to consider an upgrade.
- EER, or energy efficiency ratio, simply measures the cooling provided in comparison with units of electrical energy consumed. The higher the EER, the more comfortable your home and the lower the energy costs.
Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning has been providing exceptional heating/cooling services and products to the Fresno area for nearly 40 years. Not sure whether it’s time to service or upgrade your system? Contact us; we’ll be happy to help you decide which makes the most sense in terms of home comfort and energy savings.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. To get started, check out our website.