Air purification systems reduce and remove pollutants from the air indoors. There are many different types of purifiers available. Portable units can be moved between rooms or you can have a permanent system installed that removes air contaminants in your entire home.
The best air purificatin systems are designed not only to attack contaminants but to remove and destroy them as well. Air contaminants include:
- Dirt, dust, allergens, pollen, pet dander and other microscopic particles
- Bioaerosols that include fungi, viruses and bacteria
- Chemicals and odors such as those created from pets, cooking, smoking, perfumes, cleaning and painting
Air purification systems will remove most of the air pollutants found indoors. There are a variety of units, including:
- Basic purifiers that remove particles through the use of a filtration system. The filters used in these units range in quality from disposable devices to high quality ones. The high quality HEPA filters will remove up to 99 percent of the particles. Disposable filters typically do not remove gases, vapors and odors.
- Carbon air purification systems use activated carbon to filter out contaminants from the air. The carbon collects odors and particles that are forced through the unit.
- Ionic purifiers are designed to use positive and negative charges of energy to purify the air. Pollutants with positive energy are attracted to particles with negative energy. This convergence of energy forces the contaminants to settle as dust. A filter then removes the dust.
Other air purifying systems use other types of technology such as electrostatic filters, ultraviolet light and hydroxyl radicals to clean the air.
It is important to consider all of the air purification systems available and how well they will operate with your heating and cooling units, in order to choose the best system for your situation.
The professionals at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning will be happy to provide you with expert advice on all of your air quality issues. Contact us for answers to all of your questions and concerns about air purification systems. We’ve been serving the greater Fresno area for nearly 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. To get started, check out our website.