California has plenty of initiatives to better its outdoor air quality, but it’s up to homeowners to manage their indoor air quality. Incorporated directly into your forced-air heating and cooling system, an air filter is your first line of defense against airborne particulates. However, it’s important to inspect the air filter once every month, and replace as necessary. Here are six important reasons to keep up on your air filter replacement:
- Clogged filters lead to HVAC system failure. As a filter catches more and more pollutants, it becomes more clogged. Air has a harder time passing through clogged filters, which not only leads to people cranking their thermostat to compensate for reduced circulation but also puts more strain on the blower fan motor. Clogged filters are a primary cause of avoidable maintenance and repair costs.
- By reducing airflow, dirty air filters also reduce the amount of air circulating through your home and being filtered. This leads to impaired indoor air quality, which can contribute to allergies and respiratory irritation.
- When the air in your home is dirty and not circulating as quickly, dust builds up in air ducts. This can lead to the need for increased cleaning and maintenance, and may even force you to replace elements of your HVAC system.
- Because fans have to push harder to move air through clogged filters, the energy they use goes up. Homeowners who want to maintain a green style of living should take the increased energy into account.
- With the increase in energy, you’ll see an increase in energy bills when filters get dirty. Homeowners who pay attention to air filter replacement notice regularly lower energy bills.
- A dirty air filter increases your carbon footprint.
Air filters are inexpensive and readily available in a range of filtration options, and air filter replacement can be done easily on most systems in a few minutes by a homeowner. To learn more about keeping your HVAC systems in top operating shape and improving indoor air quality in your Fresno area home, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).