Home safety while on vacation is essential to avoid coming back to a ransacked home, fire or water damage, and other problems. Check out a few tips to ensure your Fresno area home remains safe and secure while you enjoy your vacation:
- Heating and Cooling System: Turn your heating/cooling season up or down several degrees depending on the season to avoid running it constantly while you’re away. If leaving pets in the home, they won’t need it running continuously, so set it at about 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit during warmer months and 50-55 degrees F during winter, unless you fee comfortable turning it off entirely. Every degree raised or lowered results in 2-3 percent energy savings.
- Appliances: Even when you turn off electronic appliances such as the television or computer, they are still using energy if left plugged in. Unplug all appliances and electronics that will go unused while you’re away, including coffee pots, toasters, gaming systems, digital clocks, electric razors, extra lamps and cell phone chargers. You’ll save both money and energy.
- Lights: Use timer on lights so they go off at certain periods and make it look like someone is home. Motion sensor exterior lights are also great to have in terms of keeping would-be burglars away from your home.
- Friends and Neighbors: Ask trusted friends and neighbors to watch your home while you’re away, and ask them to feed and water pets, if necessary. Leave a key with a friend or neighbor rather than hiding it under a doormat or around your garage.
- Smartphone: If desired, use your smartphone to keep a watchful eye on your house via webcams and other cameras. Link the webcam/camera to the app you’re using, such as iCam, to ensure your home is safe. You can link the app to up to 12 cameras set up around your house.
- Locks: Double-check locks on all windows and doors before you leave.
For more tips relating to home safety while on vacation and other aspects of home comfort, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. We have proudly served the Fresno area for over 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about home safety and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock