Saving energy in your home puts more money in your pocket, and cutting back on hot water consumption is one place to start. Heating water is the third-largest consumer of household energy, and fortunately, options exist to save hot water without sacrificing comfort or convenience.
- Wash your clothes in cold water or use the warm water setting. Antibacterial laundry detergents are available, or you can use a little hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol when concerned about killing bacteria or viruses in your laundry.
- If you wash your dishes by hand, use cold water to rinse them. Like laundry soap, you can use antibacterial dishwashing soap to kill germs on the pots, pans and dishes. If you’re using a dishwasher, don’t do partial loads; that wastes hot water.
- Shorten the length of your showers, where the bulk of hot water usage occurs in typical homes. Fresno summers are hot, and you can reduce the temperature of the shower, giving yourself a refreshing cool-down when the mercury climbs outdoors.
- Save hot water by draining just a quart of water from the tank of your water heater every three months. Draining just a quart takes out the most sediment-filled water in the tank, which makes the water heater more efficient and extends its life.
- Check your hot water faucets for drips or leaks, which can significantly help you save hot water while lowering your water consumption. Aerators and low-flow shower heads also reduce the amount of hot water you use. These screw on and are easy to install.
- When your old washer or dishwasher needs replacing, consider Energy Star labeled appliances that use substantially less hot water than older models. The Department of Energy assigns this rating to the most energy-efficient models available.
If you’re looking for even more ways to save energy at home, contact Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning for more information. We service the San Joaquin Valley and want to help you save as much hot water (and energy) as possible.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. Visit our websiteto see our special offers and get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.