Taking the time to perform routine furnace maintenance tasks will not only extend the life of your system, but will also ensure that your furnace runs efficiently and safely throughout the heating season. One of the most important furnace maintenance tasks is to have your system tuned up annually. Preventive maintenance performed by an HVAC professional will include the following important points:
- Check for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Tighten electrical and gas connections for safe operation.
- Measure the current and voltage of the motor.
- Lubricate moving parts to reduce friction, helping you save on electricity costs.
- Check the system controls to ensure your system starts, runs and shuts off properly.
- Check the gas pressure and burner combustion for efficiency.
- Check the blower assembly for proper operation.
- Inspect the flue, vent and caps for optimum air flow.
- Check your thermostat for accuracy to keep you more comfortable at a lower cost.
- Inspect and adjust the fan belt.
Between annual tune-ups, there are several simple things you can do to keep your furnace running smoothly and your family safe:
- Stock up on furnace filters and check your filter each month. Change when dirty. Clogged air filters impede air flow and make your furnace work harder to heat your home.
- Keep the area around your furnace accessible and clean.
- Know the location of your emergency gas shutoff valve, and keep it accessible in case of an emergency.
- Post the emergency phone number of your gas company on your furnace and call immediately if you smell gas.
- Store flammable materials such as paint and aerosol sprays at least 10 feet away from your furnace.
- Inspect your air ducts for loose joints and cracks, and seal them with metal tape or mastic.
- Make sure you have a CO detector on every floor in your home. Change the batteries every six months and test for proper operation.
For more expert advice on maintaining your furnace, or to schedule a preventive tune-up of your system, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning, serving the greater Fresno area for 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock