The more efficient your furnace, the more comfortable you’ll feel and the less money you’ll spend on household energy costs. With that in mind, residents of the San Joaquin Valley should do everything in their power to enhance the efficiency of their furnace. The best way to keep your furnace in tip-top condition, of course, is annual maintenance. However, there is one maintenance task that you can perform year round to enhance the efficiency of your system – changing furnace filters.
Unfortunately, this relatively simple task is often forgotten by homeowners. This neglect can drag your system down, leading to unnecessary damage, increased energy costs, and household discomfort. Maintaining a clean furnace filter, however, can enhance efficiency in your household in several ways:
- Keeping filters clean prevents clogging, which can throw off the balance of pressure in your home.
- Clogged filters also prevent proper airflow, which makes your system work harder to provide heat.
- When filters are clogged or damaged, they can’t properly filter particulates from your air. This means that unwanted dirt and debris make their way into the components of your system, causing a buildup that impedes furnace efficiency.
- If your system isn’t properly removing particulates from the air, they not only end up building up on your components, they often end up recirculated throughout your home. This can lead to excess dust in your home, as well as reduced indoor air quality.
When you neglect your furnace filters, you subject your heating system to all of these issues, each of which can compromise comfort and efficiency while taking years off the life of your system. With that in mind, we suggest inspecting your furnace filters monthly and cleaning or changing them as needed. How often should they be changed? This can depend on several factors:
- Type of filter
- Manufacturer specifications
- Unique demands of your household
If you need help assessing the condition of your furnace filter, or would like more information about the proper maintenance of your heating system, speak to one of our trained technicians. Contact Donald P. Dick Air Conditioningtoday.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace filters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. Visit our websiteto see our special offers and get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.