See How Solar Looks On Your Home Read More

Skip navigation

Serving The Greater Fresno Area Since 1970

Serving The Greater Fresno Area Since 1970


Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning Blog

Heating Season FAQ: What Is Carbon Monoxide?

While some homeowners may choose to use electric heating systems, most prefer to use natural gas. Natural gas is more affordable than electricity, and it can be used to fuel stoves, water heaters, and other appliances, as well. As is the case with oil, propane, and other combustible fuels, though, the burning of natural gas can lead to the creation of carbon monoxide.

It is important that you have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout your home in order to protect you from this dangerous gas. A properly operating heater will vent this and other flue gases out of your home. When it comes to your heating in Kingsburg, CA, however, you can never be too careful.

Carbon Monoxide Is a Major Concern

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the incomplete combustion of various fuels containing carbon. These include natural gas, wood, oil, propane, and others. Natural gas is poisonous, and the most severe cases of carbon monoxide poisoning can prove to be fatal. Natural gas leaks themselves are obviously dangerous, but at least we are able to add an odor to this fuel before it is piped into your home as a safety precaution. Carbon monoxide, on the other hand, is completely odorless, tasteless, and colorless. In other words, it is impossible for humans to detect with our senses.

What Are the Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Like we said above, modern heating systems will vent any CO out of your home. They are generally quite safe. It is still vital that you have good carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout your home to alert you of any leaks in your house, though. Furthermore, you should know what the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning are.

They resemble flu symptoms in many ways. You may feel lightheaded, dizzy, nauseous, and get cramps. The effects will get more severe with longer exposure times or higher exposure levels. Vomiting, confusion, and loss of consciousness are all possible. Eventually, death is a possible outcome. You should not let this type of information scare you away from using these valuable fuels, of course. You just need to use them safely.

Let Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning keep your heater working safely. We strive to provide honest answers and solutions to the problems our customers experience while remaining highly competitive in price, and offer the fastest turnaround you can find!


Comments are closed.