Dust and the dust mites that feed on dust can cause a variety of health problems, including allergies, itchiness, respiratory issues and increased problems with asthma. Luckily, some simple solutions can help immensely if you’re tired of breathing dusty air at home. You can find ways to make your indoor air cleaner as well as ways to make your home less hospitable for dust mites.
To help with allergy problems related to dust, pollen and mold spores, consider an air cleaning system to help ensure that only clean air comes out of your HVAC system vents. An air cleaning system actively removes dust from the air in your home, and is one of the most effective ways to help when you’re tired of breathing dusty air. Some air cleaning systems even use UV light to kill any harmful organic particles in dust, such as germs and mold spores.
Other ways to reduce dust and dust mites include:
- Vacuuming regularly with a vacuum that contains a HEPA filter
- Washing bedding regularly to remove loose fabric fibers and dead skin cells, which dust mites feed on
- Bagging or boxing fabric items when you aren’t using them. It’s a good idea to store extra linens and clothing in sealed plastic bags or boxes. These containers keep the fabric from collecting dust and from shedding fibers that create more dust in your closet.
- Using a damp rag to dust instead of a broom or feather duster. A damp cloth will collect dust, rather than simply dislodging it into the air.
- Shaking out rugs and cushions. Take area rugs and cushions outside to beat them and shake out the dust. These soft items collect dust rapidly, so it helps to shake them out about once per week.
- Turning on thermostat fans while you clean to help filter any kicked-up dust out of the air.
For help getting rid of dust and installing an air cleaner in your San Joaquin Valley home, contact the experts at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. We’ve been serving the greater Fresno area for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about breathing dusty air and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Air Quality image via Shutterstock|