Winter is approaching quickly, which means things are cooling off in the Jan Joaquin Valley. Many of us live here to enjoy the milder climate and to escape the harsh winters of the Midwest and Northeast, but many homeowners forget that proper sealing is still a necessity, even in a warmer region. Insulation is extremely important whether you’re using the furnace or the A/C, as both will run more efficiently in a properly-insulated home. Plus, the house will stay more comfortable in any season with added insulation.
With all the different types on the market, choosing among the many insulation options can be difficult. Here is some basic information about the main types of insulation to help you make the right choice:
- Cellulose insulation is rapidly gaining popularity for its thermal resistance and safety. Cellulose is made from recycled paper and contains no harmful chemicals, making it a great option for those concerned about the environment. It’s blown into walls, and packs tightly to become nearly airtight and extremely efficient.
- Cotton insulation has many qualities in common with cellulose; it is generally made from recycled materials, contains few chemicals, and does a great job in sealing walls. Cotton, however, is generally installed as batting, making installation simpler and quicker.
- Fiberglass insulation is common in many areas, and is generally sold in the form of batting, making it a cheap and easy option. Fiberglass does, however, use a small percentage of recycled materials and a great deal of petroleum in its manufacture, and inhaling the fibers can be dangerous.
- Mineral wool contains a high percentage of recycled materials, but production is very energy intensive, and the insulation itself can contain some harmful chemicals. It does, however, tend to have higher R-values (thermal resistance) than most other varieties.
- Foam insulation requires a great deal of energy to produce, but is considered one of the most efficient varieties of insulation available and seals walls quite well.
Contact the experts at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning for more information on insulating your Fresno area home. We have served Central California for nearly 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about insulation and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Thinglass/Shutterstock”