To get the most from your energy dollars as the heating season begins, schedule a fall HVAC checkup for your heat pump or furnace. These systems need routine maintenance to provide the most energy-efficient heating for your Fresno area home, and if you use a gas or propane heating system, you’ll ensure your safety by having an HVAC professional go through it.
The air filter for your air handler or blower is one of the most important components of the system. HVAC manufacturers design the systems so the filters are easy to access. Check it monthly and replace it when it’s dirty or clogged. A clogged filter slows airflow through the air handler and drives up heating costs, since it takes longer to warm your home. It increases energy bills and lowers the life of the equipment.
An HVAC professional will include these steps in a fall HVAC checkup:
- Thoroughly clean all parts, including both the inside and outside units if you have a split-system heat pump. When dust covers the heat exchanger or evaporator coil, it acts as insulation. It will take longer for to heat your home. If you have a gas or propane furnace, this dust can actually cause the heat exchanger to fail. It stays hot too long and could crack, resulting in a red tagged furnace, an expensive or cost-prohibitive repair.
- Lubricate the motors. If you use a heat pump, the technician will lubricate the motor in the air handler and the condensing unit.
- Tighten and inspect belts.
- Clean the electronic components and apply nonconductive lubricant, if necessary. Dirty electronic components don’t conduct electricity as well, lowering the system’s efficiency.
These tasks are specific to combustion furnaces:
- Check the tightness of all the fuel line connections.
- Inspect the flame quality inside the burner and make adjustments, if necessary.
- Clean the inside of the burner.
Between keeping the filters clean and having a fall HVAC checkup, you’ll prolong the life of your system, keep energy bills lower, and increase your safety. To learn more, contact Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. We’ve provided trusted HVAC services for San Joaquin Valley homeowners for more than 40 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock