There’s no doubt about it; scheduling regular A/C maintenance can bring a host of benefits most homeowners can’t afford to miss. With high electricity costs in the greater Fresno area, and ever-tighter budgets, the best course of action you can take to control energy costs and ensure consistent cooling in your home over the summer is as simple as making an A/C maintenance appointment.
Manufacturers, HVAC contractors and other industry experts agree that cooling maintenance is perhaps the best way to protect the systems – and homeowners – from unnecessary repairs, high energy costs, poor home cooling and early system replacement. Manufacturers even go so far as to require A/C maintenance in order to guarantee warranty coverage. Without proof of maintenance, you’ll void the warranty.
The value of maintenance is evident in the comprehensive checklist of tasks technicians will perform during the service. The checklist is designed to accomplish two goals: Rid the system of insidious dirt buildup that compromises the A/C’s smooth operation, and inspect the cooling system for evidence of wear and tear and other malfunctions, for early detection and resolution of problems. Some of these tasks include:
- Cleaning the coils.
- Replacing the air filter if it’s dirty.
- Testing the system’s airflow.
- Inspecting the ductwork component, checking for air leaks and lack of insulation.
- Testing the system’s refrigerant charge; if it’s low, filling it and then checking for leaks.
- Verifying the thermostat for accuracy.
- Checking the system’s controls, and electric terminals and connections.
Don’t stop there, however. Your A/C maintenance should also include these DIY steps, performed over the summer:
- Check the A/C filter every month. Hold it up to a light; if you can no longer see light shining through the filter’s surface, replace it.
- Clear the area around the condenser. Keep landscaping trimmed, and don’t let grass clippings or other vegetation gather near the unit. It will compromise airflow, and if dirty or debris gets into the interior of the unit, it will interfere with heat transfer on the coil.
For expert A/C maintenance, please contact us at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning today. We serve homeowners in the greater Fresno area with quality heating and cooling installations, repairs and maintenance. Ask about our annual service plans that make cooling system maintenance even more affordable.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the greater Fresno, California area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about regular maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock