“What is that noise?”
You’ve been asking yourself that question for days and you have yet to be able to find an answer. What you may not realize is that the strange sounds you’ve been hearing might be coming from you furnace.
While it might be common knowledge that no furnace runs completely quiet, there are most definitely sounds that it shouldn’t be making. The key here is that you need to know what noises to listen for. If you aren’t sure what noises that you might hear that could indicate that you should schedule a furnace repair in Fresno, CA in the near future, we can help.
Below we have listed a few sounds that you could hear in your home that could actually indicate your furnace is trying to send you a cry for help.
There are several different sounds that your furnace could make that the average person may not realize are a sign their heating system is in trouble. We want you to know what to listen for so you can get your furnace fixed fast when you hear any of these noises.
3 Noises That Indicate Your Furnace Needs Repairs
Here are a few different noises that are a warning sign for your furnace:
- Popping or Banging: Unless there is popcorn in your furnace (we really hope there isn’t) you shouldn’t hear popping or banging coming from your system. These sounds are a sign of a furnace burner that is struggling to combust on start up.
- Rattling: When your furnace starts producing a rattling sound, it is likely because of parts that are loose or broken, or the presence of debris elsewhere in your furnace’s system. This noise could also indicate other problems in the furnace motor.
- Screeching or Squealing: If you hear either of these noises, it means that your furnace may have belts or bearings that need lubrication, cleaning, or need to be replaced.
Are There Any Normal Noises a Furnace Can Make?
At this point you may be wondering what sounds your furnace can produce that aren’t a cause for concern. It helps to recognize these too so you aren’t calling for service when you don’t need it.
- Chirping: The sound of chirping is normally just the sound of your furnace mechanisms running
- Rattling or crackling upon cool down: When you system begins cooling down and gives off a small amount of rattling or crackling, you shouldn’t need to worry.
- Humming: When your furnace burner lights it can normally create a humming noise.
We hope this information helps to put your mind at ease the next time you hear a noise when you turn on your heater. However, if you do notice that your furnace is producing odd sounds or is showcasing other problems such as a lack of heat or decreased airflow, you should reach out to a professional HVAC technician at your earliest convenience.
When you need to set up a service for your faltering furnace, contact Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning. We strive to provide honest answers and solutions to the problems our customers experience while remaining highly competitive in price, and offer the fastest turnaround you can find!