Taking action to improve your indoor air quality is an important step in improving your overall health. The air in most homes is filled with various contaminants and pollutants from everyday household items such as:
- Cleaning chemicals
- New furniture and carpet
- Gas appliances
- Personal hygiene products
- Cigarettes and cigars
- Fungus such as mold and mildew
These common items lower the quality of your indoor air, raising the risk of various health complications that range from mild to serious. A few of the side effects from continuously breathing in contaminated air are:
- Irritated nose, throat and eyes
- Allergy and asthma symptoms
- Respiratory complications
Fortunately, you do not have to live with polluted air, and there are several actions you can take to improve your indoor air quality:
- Install an air purifier in your home. Air purifiers run the air through a filter to remove the contaminants before the cleaned air is released back into your home. Available in various sizes and types, air purifiers will improve your indoor air quality continuously.
- Improve the ventilation in your home. Proper ventilation will increase airflow and lower the chance of fungus growth in areas – such as bathrooms and finished basements – that see a high amount of humidity.
- Regularly change your heating and cooling system filter. If the filter is dirty, it cannot properly cleanse the air. Furnace filters are available in a wide array of types and price ranges. For optimum filtration, try at least a MERV 9 filter.
In addition to those three steps, regularly cleaning and dusting your home will help remove air pollutants. A buildup of dust and dirt will lower your air quality and increase the probability of allergy and asthma flare-ups. Another option is to install a humidifier in your home. If the air in your home is too dry, it can create an unpleasant living environment. Humidifiers will add moisture back into the air and lower the risk of dry skin and static electricity shock.
The professionals at Donald P. Dick Air Conditioning have been serving the Fresno area for almost 40 years. We can provide you with more information on how you can improve your indoor air quality and enhance your quality of life. Contact us today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about improving your indoor air quality and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Donald P Dick Air Conditioning services the greater Fresno area in California. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!